Monday, May 5, 2008

FRONT YARD Gardening?

My neighbor- across the street- Art, approached me last year and asked me if I was interested in starting a garden/ food co-op in my own back yard. He would plant certain varieties in his yard, my next door neighbor would plant some in hers and so on. We would then share our crops accordingly. I thought that it was a good idea so, of course, I was in. Craig and I have been systematically removing our grass for years and seem to be running out of space. So,I have been eyeing my front yard recently and the grass is in jeopardy! But, what would I plant? A sea of carrots & beets (to keep the view clear for cars) surrounded by garlic and onions (to deter the rabbits)? A beautiful carpet of a variety of thyme? Or, should I go all out and plant determinate tomatoes? Peppers? Or, how about a fabulous pumpkin patch? Maybe in the fall we could all get together and have a pumpkin carving contest! But, what would the "other" neighbors think? The ones that aren't yet hip to the idea of growing your own food in your front lawn?? Apparently, I'm not the only one ridding of their front lawn and switching to edibles.Watch the video below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what the laws are regarding front yard gardening? We live in Mill Creek and I think that I am restricted on what I can do.

The PURE Gardener, Inc. said...

We live near downtown Geneva in the older neighborhood.I searched the zoning laws on the city's website and found this.....

" What is the maximum height weeds are allowed to grow before the property owner is required to cut them down?
It is unlawful for any person to permit any weeds, grass or plants, other than trees, bushes, flowers or other ornamental plants, to grow to a height exceeding eight (8") inches anywhere in the city. Any such plants or weeds would be declared to be a nuisance and ordered cut down.
At what point are bushes/trees considered an obstruction to a city sidewalk or street?
The owner of a tree, shrub or plant growing on private property overhanging any street or public sidewalk within the city should trim the branches or plant so that they do not obstruct the view of any street intersection or encroach upon any sidewalk. Trees should be maintained so as to provide a minimum clear space of not less than ten (10') feet on a secondary street or fifteen (15') feet on a major street. The measurement is taken from the street surface or the sidewalk. "

So, although I am not advising you that it is OK to grow vegetables in your front yard or on your parkway ;-), I am going to work then into my front yard.

Related Posts with Thumbnails